Tuesday 22 December 2015

Misadventures in Jakarta: The Bookshop Misstep


There I was walking in a bookstore in Jakarta when I felt the heel of my right shoe give way. I began to limp. I turned to look back at where my heel went. 

My husband who was walking behind me was looking down at this black thing on the floor. He gingerly toed the item and kicked to the side. The shop attendant looked down at this black thing that didn't resemble anything he had ever likely seen before and looked at my husband curiously. My husband shrugged his shoulders. I kept on walking. 

Next thing I heard was a metal clicking sound coming from below me. OMG what is my shoe doing now? I had hoped no one heard that. All of a sudden it stopped. I looked over my shoulder and saw a metal piece on the floor. O-kaay. I quickly limped out the door before the whole shoe fell apart. 

This is what my shoes looked like now. In the bin they go. 


The back story to these shoes is that I had left them three years ago at my in-laws where I was staying  in Jarkata. I had wrapped them into a plastic bag and then into a spare luggage. They were in perfect condition. 

When I took them out just I'd assumed they were fine and used them.  I guessed the plastic heels and soles and three years of humidity can have a drastic affect on shoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment